Finally got some better photos of this sculpture. He's still not attached to his base and I may add a few more details with paint, but for now, this is the finished paint-job.
This guy ended up being more detailed than I predicted he would be and was definitely a struggle to complete at times, but I couldn't be happier with how he turned out.
He is about 12" high and 10" long, made of Sculpey firm over an aluminum wire and foil armature. His horns, teeth, whiskers and claws are made of Apoxie clay. The piece is painted with acrylic paint.
The big spines were sculpted separately, baked and placed in the unbaked clay of the piece. The rest of the scales and spines were added one-by-one onto the sculpture and that process is the part that consumed most of the time this guy took.
As another sculptor put it, you can be 90% done with a sculpture and that last 10% can end up taking more time than the rest of the piece did. That was definitely the case for this sculpture, as I can't even estimate how many hours he took me to complete, but I started him in 2009.
I'm glad to be done and also glad that I managed to keep my sanity intact (I think!) despite doing all of those scales.
WIP photos can be found in my scrap folder, and detail shots of this sculpt will be uploaded next.
Download for a larger size!